: Shirley MacLaine
Topics & Articles
    home . help . cartview cart

News Navigation Spacer Our Community Navigation Spacer Membership Navigation Spacer About Shirley Navigation Spacer Broadcasts Navigation Spacer Shirley's World Shopping Navigation Spacer Astrology Navigation Spacer Contact Us
Life is a Bowl of Cherries
Welcome to ShirleyMacLaine.com
IE Members - Login or Join Now
View Cart | My Account | Email a Friend This Page | Join Shirley's Mailing List
Encounter Board Menu
Menu
Menu
Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
The Perfect Valentine from The Organic Wine Company!
Taste pleasing wines made with Earth-friendly, certified organic grapes, free of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, and other synthetic chemicals.

The Organic Wine Company is not just planet friendly, they are people friendly and there to answer any question you may have! Order your wine today!
1-888-ECOWINE
(1-888-326-9463)

The Organic Wine Company

Independent Expression Radio Sponsor
Adventure and discovery was the enticement that drew Lee Elders to this wild lawless land; the supernatural world of the Shuara that live in a mystical realm of ayahuasca-induced visions where the ethereal world is encased within our third dimensional reality. Along the way he discovered his true self - his Kakarma. However incredible some of the incidents may seem this is a true story.
Expeditions: Gold, Shamans and Green Fire

Sponsor the Encounter Board

Go Back Encounter Board > Main Category > Meditations

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Default Poetry as Meditation

Hello again, bowls full of cherries!

Another meditation technique I use as an entrance into meditation, which I am sure is not unusual at all, is reading poetry before I sit. It is a beautiful technique that I also adopted from my yoga and spiritual teacher, Tias Little (who is also oriented in Santa Fe). This morning, I read the following poem of Wendell Berry's (a true treasure, especially if you like nature poetry--similar to Mary Oliver in many ways):

"The Thief"

I think of us lying asleep,
eyes and hands filled with the dark,
when the arm of the night
entered, reaching into the pockets
of our empty clothes. We slept
in the element of that power,
innocent of it, preserved from it
not even by our wish.
As though not born, we were carried
beyond an imminence we did not
waken to, as passively as stars
are carried beyond their spent
shining--our eyes granted to the light
again, by what chance or price
we do not even know.

------

In this poem, I love not only the imagery of sleep slipping into death--perhaps--but also the unlimited universe of the stars, the imminence, stretching so easily--so passively--beyond human comprehension and into the space of spent stars......om shanti shanti shanti.

_/|\_
stephanie

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma Rae
Hello again, bowls full of cherries!

Another meditation technique I use as an entrance into meditation, which I am sure is not unusual at all, is reading poetry before I sit. It is a beautiful technique that I also adopted from my yoga and spiritual teacher, Tias Little (who is also oriented in Santa Fe). This morning, I read the following poem of Wendell Berry's (a true treasure, especially if you like nature poetry--similar to Mary Oliver in many ways):

"The Thief"

I think of us lying asleep,
eyes and hands filled with the dark,
when the arm of the night
entered, reaching into the pockets
of our empty clothes. We slept
in the element of that power,
innocent of it, preserved from it
not even by our wish.
As though not born, we were carried
beyond an imminence we did not
waken to, as passively as stars
are carried beyond their spent
shining--our eyes granted to the light
again, by what chance or price
we do not even know.

------

In this poem, I love not only the imagery of sleep slipping into death--perhaps--but also the unlimited universe of the stars, the imminence, stretching so easily--so passively--beyond human comprehension and into the space of spent stars......om shanti shanti shanti.

_/|\_
stephanie

Beautiful...

Welcome Norma Rae.

-

Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM

Thumbs up thank you!

Thank you for sharing that beautiful Berry poem, Stephanie, and I wholeheartedly agree: Poetry is a marvelous way to ease into meditation ... I go through phases where I'm faithful to contemplating a Biblical passage for a while .... and then I just have to switch back to poetry - especially nature poetry - for a few weeks.

I have also been remiss in not commenting on your post about the Tonglen method. I first started doing that years ago - Pema Chodron is such a wonderful teacher - and for whatever reason .... stopped. Thank you for reminding me to start it up again. It is an extremely valuable technique for extending compassion to others. Thank you again for bringing it up .... I will get back into my practice of it now!

Namaste,

Lura

Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM

What a beautiful poem. Thank you so much for sharing... Shar